E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

A reading and writing update

I have mentioned several times in the past that there are few true masters of the short story alive working today. Neil Gaiman may very well be the best short story writer alive, in my opinion.

Gaiman is a highly versatile writer. He wrote the Sandman graphic novels, a number of best selling novels, at least one movie script I know of, two best selling childrens books and a slew of short stories.

Just before Christmas, Fragile Things, Gaiman's second collection of short stories was released in hardback and I picked it up the other day. I must say that the man has lived up to his reputation. Imaginative, creative and amazingly vivid, this collection of short stories is a must read. If you haven't already read them, be sure to pick up Smoke and Mirrors, too.

Gaiman's books are usually found in the "fantasy and sci fi" section of book stores, though that is a category that isn't quite right. In fact, his books defy categorization.

WRITING
I'm currently working on a short story -- what appears to be becoming a rather long short story or perhaps a novella -- titled the Gauntlet.

The original idea was pretty simple. A man of the cloth is tired. He's angry at people, the world and God. His life and his service to the Lord has not been what he intended or imagined. My thought at this idea was two-fold: 1) What kinds of things brings a person to this level? and 2) What can bring them back?

One scene, which is very short, is very pivotal, I think. This man doesn't want to come out and ask an elderly priest for proof that God exists, so he asks a different question.

"Father, does evil, real evil, exist?"
The old man sighed deeply and looked into Jon's eyes.
"My son," he said in a frail voice. "Ask the true question in your heart. Does God really exist?"

In my crazy little brain, it didn't take long to develop a story line in which this man, like many humans in a moment of despair, challenges God to prove His existence. Then the question popped into my head...what if God takes you up on your challenge? They say God works in myserious ways....

It's been an interesting and fun journey so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home