E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Reading ABOUT Writing

Yes, if you want to write, you need to read. A lot. I usually have two or three books I'm reading at any given time.

But what about reading ABOUT writing.

I think this is an important part of any beginning writer's training. There are a ton of books out there, as well as The Writer, Writer's Digest and other magazines.

The simple fact is like novels, these books and articles are very uneven. Actually, most are way too generalized and superficial to be much use. Afterall, how can you discuss character development for a 100,000 word novel in an 800 word article?

That said, do read the magazines, but do so critically. There is useful information in those pages. Likewise with books.

I highly recommend On Writing by Stephen King. It is a tour de force and offers significant insight into this writer's beliefs, techniques, and development...the kind of things often missing from other books on writing.

Lately, I find myself scouring interviews with writers. Mostly, it is the same stuff rehashed over and over...but every once in a while, you come across a gem.

So get looking for those gems. They are out there and they are worth wading through the crap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home