E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Mood and preference, Part 1

Over the last month or so, the results of newspaper contests have come out here in Texas. A fellow publisher sent me the judge's comments for her paper.

"Your paper is excellent. Surely would've been first place winner. But I hate ads on the front."

Beyond some basics: spelling, grammar, etc., preference plays a big part of an editor's decision making process.

For example, I hate the "cat" books that populate the mystery world. Don't get me wrong, I think pets have a place in a book because in real life, pets play a major role in people's lives. Therefore, they can provide a lot of insight into character and can indeed play a major role in a character's life.

As an example, Elvis Cole, the main character in Rober Crais' excellent private investigator series, has a cat. The cat is important in that it provides some insight into Cole's life at home. However, unlike these cat books, the animal isn't out solving the crimes for us.

If I were a fiction editor of a magazine, or a fiction acquisitions editor at a book publisher, you'd have a hard time selling me a "cat" book. Or a dog book, horse book, or whatever. I fully recognize these are very popular books, but I don't care for them. My preferences might shine through.

In the 80s, the appearance of judo in Black Belt magazine declined precipitously. It was due in part to a decline of judo in the nation. However, I've been told by several folks that it was also due to a string of editors who had no experience with judo and chose takewondo and karate — which soared in appearances in the magazine — over other arts.

I know an editor of an online fiction magazine. He's devoutly christian and one curse word and your out. If the "good guy" even smacks of a belief other than christian, your out. It is not a christian publication, but he definitely has a preference.

Preference. It absolutely will help a mediocre story get published or a really good one get canned.

This is why it pays to learn all you can about the editors you might be dealing with. Listen to them speak at a conference. Catch on online interview with them. Read the magazines they edit. Notice what's there and what's not there.

It is one of those things that makes a big difference.

1 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your -- belonging to you
you're -- you are

Get it? Got it? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home