E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

The reading list

While not being able to blog much lately, I've read a lot.

Here's a few books I've read and a couple of comments on each of them.

Sea Change, by Robert B. Parker -- B-
Not his best Jessie Stone novel, but still a good yarn. To me, Stone is becoming less interesting as a police chief as he settles more into the job and his personal life gets more and more settled. But no doubt about it, Parker can still tell a heck of a story.

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose -- A-
The true story accound of Easy Company and the basis for the HBO mini-series. Required reading that helps you truly understand the sacrifices that were made to win World War II.

Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben -- A-
An excellent book in Coben's Myron Bolitar series. In this one, the sports agent deals with some very serious family issues and it is a gripping read.

The Effective Editor -- FFFFFFFFFFFF
Hey, I had to read it -- I do so about once a year. Good reminders for newspaper editors.

Behind the Mystery -- C+
This book is composed of interviews with mystery writers. No new revelations in the interviews, however, the black and white photography of the writers in their homes is quite stunning.

Various Sherlock Holmes Stories -- A+
I picked up my complete Sherlock Holmes collection recently and read through them. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never ceases to surprise or amaze.

And currently, I'm reading The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
Good stuff so far and that Pendergast character is something else. I'm looking forward to see how this one turns out and Pendergrast chases a modern day serial killer who is mimicking one of 100 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home