E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

More on character

So, I've been thinking more and more about creating characters the readers identify with, and hopefully develop a friendship with.

I think of Ender's Game, which I consider to be the very best plot-driven novel I've ever read. While the book is science fiction, that boy and his story could easily fit in just about any genre, setting or time. It has universal appeal because it is so character drive.

What is it about Ender that really made me relate to him and be affected by him?

We were both in the military. From a young age, we both felt as though we didn't quite belong wherever we were. But you know, that's about the extent of it.

While like Ender I've moved far away from parents and family, unlike him, I've maintained close contact with them. I've never had to lead earth's military against an alien invader. I've never had the very future of the world placed on my shoulders.

So what is it? It is definitely something elusive.

However, one thing that strikes me is I've known people very much like Ender. Loners, brilliant, folks who just don't fit in anywhere, but by God, they are the ones you want on your side when the shit is hitting the fan.

But I don't know if that is it.

I continue to ponder this question of characters.

1 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Blogger takinchances said...

I'm a great character...but you still haven't written about me. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home