E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

What comes out on paper

Last night, I had the beginnings of an interesting conversation with a friend. She and I were having dinner and began discussing what we write.

She expressed surprise at some of the types of things she writes -- they are the types of things she may not necessarily enjoy reading or watching and just not the type of thing you'd think of her writing.

Likewise, she expressed surprise at what I write.

I can't remember the exact comment, but she recalled reading my story "Information" which appeared in the June '05 Mysterical-E (www.mystericale.com). It is a violent story, as most of my short fiction is, and she was surprised it could come out of me.

I am a nice guy (I think), although I do "call it like I see it." Regardless, I try to treat everyone (well most people) with respect and kindness, unless they give me a reason otherwise.

Perhaps that's what it is. I have a definite sense of right and wrong within me. I mentioned to this same friend once that's part of the appeal of The Lord of the Rings -- the good characters are good and are willing to sacrifice much in the name of good.

Many of my stories, and hence the characters, explore this basic theme: is it OK to commit an evil deed for purpose that is good or noble? It is a thought that definitely shies away from my "good is good and bad is bad" personal philosophy on such things.

In the story Information, the main character, Barnacle, is hired to find out if a hit man killed the wrong person. His findings may very likely lead to the death of the hit man. Barnacle's morally ambiguity -- he takes the job knowing someone may die -- is interesting to me. In a sense, justice could be done -- if an innocent was accidentally killed by the hit man who is in turn killed, that's justice, right?

Even two of my upcoming stories, "Jessie" (to appear soon at www.acruelworld.com) and The Last Cowboy (to appear soon at www.shredofevidence.com), deal with similar themes. Of course, my other upcoming story "The King" (to appear later this year in Crime Spree Magazine), is a much different story.

Ultimately, I think that writing, like other forms of art, at least for those who dig deep within themselves, is a way to address certain thoughts, ideas and concerns that a person has.

As one mystery writer, I think Nevada Barr but I wouldn't swear to it, said: "When my husband left me I wanted to kill him. So I wrote a mystery novel instead."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home