E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Point of View

Yesterday, I was reading an article titled "Perspectives on Point of View" by author Loren D. Estleman. Estleman is a great mystery writer who created the character Amos Walker. He's also cross-genre, having very successful novels that are historical, westerns and mainstream fiction.

His article was straight forward, talkinga bout the various points of view and showing examples -- all pertaining to mysteries.

Then he showed this example, which I believe is a prime example of outstanding writing.

These are Sherlock Holmes' remarks to Dr. Watson (first person narrator of the book) upon finding the body of Sir Charles Baskerville in "The Hound of the Baskerville."

"He was running Watson -- running desperately, running for his life, running until he burst his heart and fell dead upon his face."

Estleman goes on to comment, "Three pages of on the spot description would read no more chillingly than those lines."

He's right. You don't see the incident, because the book is from Watson's perspective and he didn't see the incident. But Holmes' observation leaves no doubt as to the fear and desperation Sir Baskerville must have felt.

I tend to use a couple of different points of view in my writing.

All my Addison Carlysle and Barnacle stories are written first person from the perspective of Addison.

Many of my other stories are writting in third person subjective and I've begun to experiment with the omniscent point of view.

My short story "Jessie" as well as my first novel, Family Ties, alternate points of view -- third person subjective and first person.

In the end, as with all things, I believe it all depends on one thing and one thing only: your story. What point of view best serves your story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home