E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The importance of independence

Last week, I journeyed to Texas to join my friends at the Texas A&M judo team in a camp. As always, when in Texas, I made it a point to stop by Murder by the Book -- a great book store in Houston.

It is easy to run to Barnes and Noble or Borders, or even make a purchase on Amazon. Probably cheaper too. However, independent bookstores, such as Murder by the Book, serve a valuable purpose.

Murder by the Book sells nothing but mysteries and related titles -- suspense, thrillers, etc. Since they are an independent store, they tend to carry titles you may not find -- heck may not even be able to order -- at a B&N or Borders.

Here's an example, my friend Phill, who went with me, picked up a book that hasn't even been "released" in the U.S. yet. The store special ordered copies from England.

I purchased several books by foreign authors that are not otherwise easily available here. Likewise with a couple of small press purchases.

More importantly, independent bookstores such as this are strong supporters of authors, particularly new and up and coming authors. And that is important to the industry.

So whenever you have a chance, try to go visit an independent bookstore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home