E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Did I write a book? LOL

So, I did an exercise.

Occasionally, I find my writing slipping into the passive voice and loading up on weak adjectives and adverbs. So I wrote a story and limited myself to 8 words per sentence. No more.

24,000 words later, I have a finished science fiction story, written in 15 days.

I did some research.

The immensely famous Goosebumps, for roughly "middle school" readers, had an average of 22,500 words, and an average of 8 words per sentence.

Interesting.

And now I ask myself - have I written a children's science fiction novel?

2 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Bethany K. Warner said...

Who knew an exercise could turn out so well?

I started rewriting a short story I wrote in high school around this time last year. It's now my current WIP... All because I was curious how years/experience would change my approach to the story and wondering how it would sound in first person as well

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Clay said...

Agreed. Sometimes it is amazing.

Really, it was nothing more than an effort to snap myself out of the passive voice, which I've fallen into lately.

Who would've thought it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home