E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Monday, September 24, 2007

More Smatterings

We now mark the 40th anniversary of the novel S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders. It was a novel that shocked audiences then for its portrayal of teen life, and has remained a classic since.

Speaking of which, this week is Banned Books Week. It is amazing the number of books that are challenged or banned from school districts, school libraries and sometimes even public libraries. Hinton's book makes the list, too. You can read more at the American Library Association's web site. I will also have a column you can read at www.aransaspassprogress.com on Wednesday.

I've been having some serious thought to my character Barnacle. I wonder if it is too late to change him. He's a total ass kicker, but doesn't like to be around people. I've often thought, without writing it, that he may have agoraphobia or something similar. That's why he's an Internet junkie. But maybe there's something else. A handicap? A physical feature he thinks people find repulsive. I don't know. I see him taking more of a supportive role to Addison Carlysle though.

Busy writing weekend. 12,000+ words done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home