E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Interesting Book

I recently read The Last Detective by Robert Crais, another in his series featuring private detective Elvis Cole and his partner Joe Pike. In keeping with Crais' other books, this one was quite good, but there was something that struck me from a writing point of view.

And that was point of view.

It kept shifting throughout the book.

Some passages were from the point of view of Cole. Others of Pike -- particularly Pike who played a much larger role in this work. There were also passages from the point of view of Ben, a little boy who was kidnapped in this book. And you even get some perspective from the points of view of minor characters.

Again, I found the shifting POV to be a very interesting way to tell this story, and it was very skillfully handled.

For me, at least, it has given me food for thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home