E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

AAAHHHH, middles

I'm working on a book right now.

It started off exciting, maybe 25,000 words in like 3 hours. Ok, not that fast, but I was cranking them out. Can't wait 'till the end either. It's a good one.

But the damn middle is killing me.

I know what happens. I know the course of events. But I'm really struggling to get it down on paper. My usual writing session goal of 1,500 words becomes a chore.

Not sure why that is, but it is a frustration.

Right now, all I can do is keep cranking because I believe in the story. I think it is good.

I wonder if all writers experience this. I certianly don't have this problem with short stories -- they are usually written in one sitting (the rough drafts anyway), even if they push 5,000-6,000 words.

I'll get it worked out, but may need to ask some writer friends if this is normal.

1 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone loves the opening round of drinks and dessert, it's the course of chilled monkey brains that drags on...
PEC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home