E. C. Morgan

A few views on writing, reading, literature and more specifically mystery fiction and my career.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

An update

I've not updated folks on where I'm at in my writing, so here goes.

Really, it's just work as normal.

The novel "Death of a Bluesman" is very nearing completion. Pretty good stuff, at least in my humble opinion. As I read through it, I feel strongly that the boys -- Addison and Barnacle -- haven't let me down.

I've begun to ponder the next book length project and it is up in the air between two. One is to write a second Barnacle/Addison book. I've got an idea that I've been thinking about.

Another is the book I now call "Family Ties." It is the first book I wrote. While there's plenty I like about it, there's plenty that can be improved and as I re-read the entire book over the holidays, I developed some solid ideas for a rewrite of the entire thing. I believe it would improve the book drastically, but I need to consult with a few folks first. I think I could do the rewrite quickly -- within a month or so.

On the short story front, I've got four stories out circulating trying to find a home. The most frustrating is "The Last Cowboy," which may be my best short story to date. Yet, I can't seem to find a home for it -- three magazines have passed on it so far. Ugh.

I've got three short story rough drafts finished and two more in the works. Hope to get a few of those circulating in a week or two.

Not working on any non-fiction, outside of my day job.

3 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the rewrite, since it is at the front of your thoughts - unless your idea for the boys is a fire that just must be stoked...

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger johnvano said...

how do you find time to write so quickly and read so many books?

I'm struggling with my first novel and so easily distracted... work, family, bills, reading, friends...

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Clay said...

I must admit to having a couple of advantages over many folks. First, I'm not married and have no children. I'm not sure how that would impact the quantity of my writing, but I know it would.

Also, I work at home for an ad agency based some 600 miles away. On slow days, I'll certainly turn my attention to my fiction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home